Crolla Aiming For May Return
January 15 2015
Manchester favourite on Ringside tonight
Anthony Crolla has travelled down to London today to appear on Ringside at 6pm on Sky Sports 2 tonight, where he’ll update fans on his return to the ring.
The Manchester man was forced to pull out of his WBA World Lightweight title clash with Richar Abril on January 23 after sustaining a fractured skull and right ankle when he chased two burglars who had broken into his neighbours’ house.
Crolla’s trainer Joe Gallagher said his fighter was lucky to be alive following the attack, but after leaving hospital and returning home, ‘Million Dollar’ is optimistic he’ll be lacing up the gloves again in the first half of 2015.
“At first we were aiming for July, then we cut it back to June – I honestly think I can be ready for May, late May,” said Crolla. “We’ll see. I really believe that. Because I’ve gone through this and suffered this bit of heartache, I’ll be even more focused than before.
A return to Gallagher’s gym earlier in the new year to visit his gym mates has only fuelled the 28 year olds desire to get back into training.
“The gym is like a family and we’re all there for each other,” said Crolla. “The boys rallied round me when they heard and that support is massive. Without doubt I will be back in the ring and I will be gunning for another World title shot and looking to win it for all the people that have helped me since the attack.”
Gym and stable mate Stephen Smith paid tribute to Crolla’s actions.
“It takes a special person to do what he did,” said Smith. “A lot of people would have hid behind the curtains and called the police, but that’s not the kind of guy Anthony is. I want to see him boxing again and having him back in the gym was a great sight for all the boys.”